Latest News

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Capability Statement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE CAPABILITY STATEMENT PDF

Introduction

ITPEnergised (ITPE) was formed when Energised Environments Limited acquired Bristol-based IT Power Consulting Limited. ITPE is a trusted advisor providing client-focused, commercially minded, energy and environmental consulting services to clients in onshore & offshore energy, transport & infrastructure, property and corporate sectors.

Current UK regulations require that Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented.

ITPE has the skills and extensive experience needed to assist clients to assess their current EPC rating and to provide advice on potential requirements in order to prepare for the new regulations.

In England and Wales, from April 2018, it will be unlawful to let or sell commercial properties with an EPC Rating of F or G (MEES – Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards).

In Scotland, as of September 2016, properties over 1,000 sq m that do not meet the energy standards equivalent to those introduced in the 2002 Building Regulations, will require a further assessment to identify a target for improvement of the carbon and energy performance of the building.

An Action Plan will then be produced to identify how this target will be met. Once an Action Plan is agreed the owner has three and a half years to implement it although there is an option to defer improvements by arranging to record and report operational energy ratings (via a Display Energy Certificate (DEC) which must be reported on an annual basis).

Our capabilities

Our team has extensive expertise in assessing property portfolios and our energy specialists are able to advise beyond the EPC generated recommendations.

We can also help clients take a closer look at their EPCs to find out what inputs are driving the ratings in order to optimise the result. This exercise can help identify cost-effective savings which, if implemented, will improve an EPC rating as well as the property’s energy efficiency.

In order to assist the divestment of a property, we have the capability to undertake EPCs and environmental due diligence assessments in parallel.

Our EPC services include:

  • Level 3 and 4 accredited assessors for England, Wales and Scotland
  • Section 63 Advisors
  • Experience of managing large EPC portfolios for major property companies
  • Extensive experience in working towards the incoming MEES
  • Reliable, thorough EPCs with more precise data gathered on site
  • Identification of drivers for the EPCs and analysis of potential improvements
  • Cost efficient suggestions on improvements and how these will impact on the EPC rating

Selected project examples

MEES preparation

Confidential client

EPC portfolio for major property fund where properties rated E, F and G were reassessed for the incoming MEES.

On completion of the revised EPCs by ITPE, 75% had a rating A to D. For the remaining 25% key drivers for the EPC rating were identified and recommendations on cost effective improvements were made to the client.

EPC evaluation of HVAC upgrade

Confidential client

The client was evaluating two potential heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC) system upgrades in a five storey office building with a restaurant on the ground floor. They wanted to know what the approximate EPC rating would be for each of the alternatives.

Energised Environments produced an EPC for the current building to form a baseline and then produced an EPC model for each of the two potential scenarios with surprising results. While both options cost almost the same, there was a marked difference in the EPC rating with one scoring a D81 and the other E124. The client found this simulation to be helpful in their decision-making, ensuring that their investment delivered the desired result both in tenant comfort but also in an improved EPC rating.

Large EPC portfolios

Confidential client

Members of the team have managed several large EPC portfolios, some encompassing more than 800 properties. EPCs for all of the properties were produced, as well as cost efficient recommendations for the E to G rated properties, in order for them to meet the MEES.

Once finalised the client had an excellent overview of their entire portfolio, their EPC ratings and an understanding of which buildings would not meet MEES as well as what might be required in order to improve the EPC rating.

Following on from this, the client wanted to know how various improvements would impact on the EPC rating in order to get the most desired EPC which the team assisted with, leading to further cost savings.