We are looking for a range of consultants to lead the establishment of a new Technical Safety and Risk Management service and support its delivery. This exciting opportunity will put you at the forefront of developing the risk management approaches required to enable the world’s transition to net zero and allow you to shape the development and culture of a new consulting team.
We believe passionately in the world’s transition to net zero, and our global coverage, international specialists and ‘trusted advisor’ approach have earned us an outstanding reputation with clients across sectors, technologies and geographies.
These roles are highly important in ensuring the business continues to thrive and grow, always with a view to our passionate aspiration of supporting the world’s transition to net zero. As with any role in the business, there will be a requirement for adaptability and flexibility, with an emphasis on our core values:
- Entrepreneurial & innovative.
- Client focused, developing long-term relationships.
- A people business.
- Technically excellent in our service offerings, with a focus on adding value.
- A fun place to work.
Technical Safety and Risk
As part of our growth and development, and as a natural extension to our ‘trusted advisor’ approach and our passion to play our part in enabling the global transition to net zero in a safe and kind way, we are establishing a new Technical Safety and Risk capability.
The objective of this new service will be to help clients supporting and delivering this Energy Transition to ensure and demonstrate that the safety, environmental and asset integrity risks associated with their endeavours are being managed effectively.
More specifically, this new service will help clients balance the need to learn lessons from more mature industries and benefit from tried, tested, and accepted risk management approaches with the requirement to evolve and adapt these to support and enable the safe and effective development of the brand new, innovative technologies required to mitigate climate change.
Blending the old and the new in a pragmatic and proportionate way which gains widespread public acceptance will be the fundamental risk management challenge in enabling net zero.
More broadly, we see this new Technical Safety capability complementing our wider services to create a fully integrated ‘sustainability’ offering which will help our clients ensure and demonstrate their activities are sound, safe, secure and kind. We believe this complete service, founded on a detailed understanding of engineering, systems and technologies, will meet the needs and expectations of project stakeholders, investors, regulators and the wider public as their focus on net zero and wider social and societal justice sharpens.
Duties and responsibilities
We are looking for a range of consultants from more junior level up to highly experienced Technical Safety and Risk Management leaders to build a cohesive and sustainable team.
For the most experienced consultants, their duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Head of Technical Safety & Risk in the day-to-day management of this new service and in growing the team.
- Working with our sector leads, identify and scope client opportunities and needs and produce compelling, quality proposals.
- Leading Technical Safety workshops, studies etc.
- Acting as project manager or director on relevant projects.
- Embedding quality assurance practices, ensuring deliverables are technically excellent, demonstrating innovation and value and producing a high standard of client-tailored end deliverables.
- Mentoring and supporting more junior staff to further develop the team’s expertise and talent.
- Developing business relationships with companies and co-professionals that will provide new opportunities for the business to provide our range of services.
- Assisting with business planning and delivering budgets, working with other sector and service leads.
- Contributing to ‘Thought Leadership’ on your areas of expertise to support the enhancement of our brand and the growth and diversification of our business.
More junior consultants will support the above activities and show an aptitude and desire to develop and lead such activities in future.
While we recognise every candidate has their own unique set of attributes, we feel the ideal candidate for these roles should have a blend of the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline.
- Chartered membership of a relevant institution.
- Proven, practical experience in Technical Safety, ideally within a consultancy environment, covering the three elements of effective risk management:
- Understanding what can go wrong and the consequences of this to people, the environment, business, assets and reputation.
- Implementing the systems (plant, processes and people) to reduce the associated risks As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).
- Ensuring these systems work effectively throughout the lifecycle of the asset.
- Extensive practical experience in the use and application of risk management tools and techniques to deliver the above elements, including facilitation of risk management workshops such as HAZID, HAZOP, FMEA, LOPA, SIL, Bowties and ALARP.
- Proven, practical experience of Technical Safety within high/major hazard (regulated) industries (e.g. oil and gas, chemical, process, energy, transport and manufacturing) where these risk management approaches have been developed and honed, particularly in the development and management of HSE/Safety Cases, or equivalent, and their integration with wider HSE Management Systems
- Aptitude and vision to take tried, tested and accepted risk management methodologies from more mature, regulated industries and adapt these to provide a proportionate and pragmatic approach to the management of risk which enables the effective development of entirely new technologies operating outside of established ‘Safety Case’ regimes.
- Proven ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams and wider project stakeholders (designers, developers, investors and regulators) through difficult risk management decisions on complex engineering projects towards ALARP solutions.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects of varying sizes and complexities whilst developing strong, lasting, ‘trusted advisor’ relationships with clients of different sizes and maturities.
- Proven ability to win work within a consultancy market.
- Understanding of, and passion for, the science and engineering that will enable the world’s transition to net zero focussed on the reduction and removal of harmful greenhouse gas emissions and the repair of damage already done.
- Proven, practical experience in the technologies that will deliver this Energy Transition covering energy generation, storage, transmission and transformation before ultimate consumption by industry, infrastructure, transportation and homes along with an understanding of the risk management challenges this presents.
- Outstanding communication skills – written and verbal.
As we are looking for a range of consultants of different experience levels to create a cohesive and sustainable team, we welcome applications from less experienced consultants who we can nurture and support to develop towards these attributes.
The ideal candidates will be willing to travel within the UK and overseas as required from time to time to deliver the above areas of focus, and a full UK drivers licence is preferred.
These roles can be based in any of our UK offices, however ITPEnergised is pleased to consider flexible working arrangements. We are committed to finding the best talent to support our business regardless of our locations and our systems support effective team working in this environment.
Outline Remuneration Offer
- Salary: Negotiable depending on capability and experience.
- Pension: 5% EE contribution / 5% staff contribution.
- Holidays: 25 days (including 3 days over Christmas and New Year), plus 9 public holidays (pro rata).
- One professional membership.
Additional Employee Benefits
- Life Assurance up to 3 times your annual salary.
- Private medical cover.
- Employee Referral Scheme.
ITPEnergised is committed to providing all employees and candidates for employment with equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all employees shall have equality of opportunity for employment and advancement based on their suitability for work – regardless of their race, religion, colour, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status, age, working hours, type of contract, disability or community background.
To apply for this role please send your CV and covering letter to HR@itpenergised.com
by Friday 24th September 2021.
We are happy to consider visa sponsorship for the right candidate – please indicate if you require visa sponsorship. NB: This candidate information helps us determine demand for ITPEnergised’s future CoS applications from the Home Office and is not used for any other purpose.