Client: Legal & General, via Marick Real Estate
Legal & General, in partnership with Sunderland City Council (SCC), is developing an industrial business park at Hilllthorn Farm in Wellington. The scheme includes:
- Ten industrial units providing around 600,000 sqft of floorspace
- Soft landscaping areas to provide a high quality setting for the buildings, incorporating planting and ecological features
- Sustainable buildings, using design techniques and technologies that reduce energy consumption
The project supports the strategic objectives of SCC by developing the site for employment use. The site was formerly occupied by Hillthorn Farm before it was cleared for redevelopment.
With the exception of COVID-secure site work, all design iteration and planning preparation works were required to be completed remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- EIA scoping and chapter co-ordination
- Air Quality impact assessment
- Noise impact assessment
- Flood Risk assessment
- Greenhouse gas emissions assessment
- Construction environmental management planning
ITPEnergised was appointed to support Lichfields planning consultancy with Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) scoping, assessment and reporting for the first phase of the Proposed Development. Subsequently we also completed standalone risk assessments as required for the second phase.
Given its proximity to residential receptors and location in a wider industrial area, consideration of air quality and noise impacts was key within the wider EIA. Greenhouse gas emissions assessment was also undertaken, and a construction environmental management plan produced.
Planning applications for both phases of the development were submitted to SCC in March 2021. Subject to securing planning permission, Legal & General intends to initiate construction and complete the first phase in 2022.
Download the case study PDF here.